Monday, February 12, 2007

Simpsons Characters a-go-go

Considering the Simpsons, there are a wealth of characters from which to choose a favorite. Homer is probably the favorite of many--it's hard these days to see how/why Bart became so popular so quickly, as Homer has eclipsed Bart in both funny lines and in depth of character. I think it's a little too difficult to come up with an actual favorite character for me--I'm going to have to give you my top three, with little explanations (hey, I've only got 5 minutes here) as to why they're my favorite.

3. Nelson Muntz: From his relentless "haw-haw," tinged with a touch of pathos and smothered with a generous helping of derision, to his curiously cool jean jacket and short, short pants, Nelson can always be counted on to deliver the goods.

2. Mr. Burns: Surprisingly humane at times, devilishly evil at others, Mr. Burns represents a tragic figure, at least in his own mind. The rest of the town just wished he'd go away.

1. Homer: A real struggle to put him here, as I was thinking of going with a "chic" pick like Lyle Langley or Lionel Hutz. However, his mix of humanity and stupidity (some would argue they're the same thing) paint Homer as a curiously existential everyman, both scorned and embraced by this mixed-up world of ours. Homer, ours is indeed a disturbing universe.

1 comment:

ldmiller said...

I have always had a special place in my heart for Willie the school's Scottish handyman. But Ralph Wiggums also gets me to laugh quite a bit. But what about Ned, who is one of the most recognized Evangelical Christians ranking usually only behind Billy Graham. Good times. just picked up season nine last week and planning to watch an episode at lunch. "Excellent"