Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Further thoughts

Sorry for the lateness of this post.

In terms of further thoughts on Hillsdale Homecoming, I think the first word that comes to mind (or words, in this case) is unfulfilled potential. The weekend seemed to hold so much promise, and yet (though it did deliver lots of grins and good times) it felt like it fell curiously short of its potential. None of the blame for this is due to my friends, who were magnificient as they always are, nor does it fall at the feet of the great Hillsdale College, unless you want to count the cotton candy. The reasons for the disappointment were primarily internal--you really can't go home again.

Walknig the campus of Hillsdale, I expected to be suffused with a powerful sense of nostalgia, of longing for days past. That was certainly my experience during my few visits back to the place--for a moment, on a fall day, I could almost believe that my whole college life was stretching out in front of me once again, with all of its ups and downs (mostly ups). The glint of the light on the leaves, the sound of the wind and the far off chiming of Central Hall, all conveyed a powerful sense of possibility. This sense would quickly fade as I remembered that those days were over and done with, that they would never come again, and that if I tried too hard to recapture them, I would only come across as pathetically as Will Ferrel in Old School, only with more clothes on and less funny.

None of that hit me on this latest trip. Perhaps it was because I've entered a new phase in my life, one that leaves little time for such reflections. It may be the case that I'm having such a good time now that I'm able to put those memories where they belong, in the past (but I doubt that's the case). Maybe it was the numerous changes at Hillsdale itself, as well as the feeling that all of the students seemed so young. Whatever it was, I didn't have that powerful nostalgia, and, as someone who likes to feel such things deeply, I almost missed it.

Almost.

Next time: Something I haven't thought of yet.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Wow Billy, that is so interesting because I have been thinking about that very issue. I do miss our Hillsdale days, but I think I have also entered a time in life (especially now with the birth of Syd) that life is so full of amazing blessings that I don't have that feeling you are talking about. I think the one thing I do long for is deeper connections like I had in college, but I think I am coming to terms with the fact that in many ways, adult life is different and that the closeness that you find in college is something unique and linked to that time in life. Now, God has provided a wonderful husband and daughter for me to have my closest relationships with. I am so thankful, though, that I have so many college friends with whom I am still in contact! Have a great day!

Unknown said...

I have to agree with Jess on this - "adult" friendships seems to be very different than highschool or college friendships where you can stay up till the wee hours talking or just watching music videos together. Michelle, a good friend of mine from my pre-Evie working days, and I consider eachother friends, but we talk maybe once a week, and actually do something once a month- if we are lucky! She has two little boys and work, and I have Evie and I watch my super-cute neice Chloe . . .so there isn't much time left over for girl stuff. But Billy and Evie are my best buds, and I wouldn't have it any other way!