Monday, February 26, 2007

Literary Contest

Geez, I didn't know it had been so long since I've posted. Apologies to my loyal readers (both of you--thanks Mom and Dad!) Work has been blowing up lately with projects, I'm inundated with writing claptrap, and Fort Wayne has been alternately buried in snow, then ice, but I'm sure you're not interested in excuses, gentle reader, only results.

Had an interesting e-mail from my friend Davis the other day. It listed the top 50 American Novels of the 20th century, according to Radcliffe Publishing (I think--too lazy to check the e-mail right now). Topping the list was The Great Gatsby, by Fitgerald, and rounding out the top ten were books like (ok, now I'm checking) Catcher in the Rye, Grapes of Wrath, and the Sound and the Fury.

Ok, here's an idea for you. I'll give you the names of the books and a character from the book. First one to post a comment matching the characters with the book title wins a "no-prize" (apologies to Marvel Magazine). I'm doing this w/o the help of Google, which means you can too, but of course, if you cheat, you'll be the only one who knows it. Well, you, and God. Enjoy!

Titles:
1. The Great Gatsby F. Scott Fitzgerald
2. The Catcher in the Rye J.D. Salinger
3. The Grapes of Wrath John Steinbeck
4. To Kill a Mockingbird Harper Lee
5. Ulysses James Joyce
6. Beloved Toni Morrison
7. Lord of the Flies William Golding
8. Nineteen Eighty Four George Orwell
9. The Sound and the Fury William Faulkner
10. Lolita Vladimir Nabokov

Characters (Done from memory!!!!)

Molly
Scout
Benjy
Ralph
Humbert Humbert
Tom J.
Daisy
(NO idea--haven't read Beloved)
Caufield
Big Bro

Good luck!

2 comments:

Jess said...

Well, I can't quite get all of them since I haven't read two of the books on the list, so I'll save you the posting of what I can get. I am pretty impressed, Billy, that you remembered so many characters! But I just wanted to comment that you shouldn't bother to read Beloved. It was awful!

BillG said...

Well, jess, why not post what you can get and take a guess at the others, in true stadardized test fashion?