Friday, March 23, 2007

Long week

Man, what a week. From client emergencies to late nights, this was one of the longest weeks on record. Not to complain or anything (because it's sure better to be busy than the alternative), but just to share with you my state of mind as I type away here for the next 4:30 or so.

I think I'm going to focus more on telling stories on this little blog of mine. I went to a presentation of a woman from The Radio Ranch the other day (yesterday) who talked about how marketing these days needs to be emotional, not just reasonable. She cited numerous examples of how creating these emotional ads helped get better results for clients, appealed to potential customers, etc. etc.

I wanted to ask her what to do with the individual who wants nothing to do with emotion, but instead wants to cram a list of features into a 2 x 4 inch newspaper square, or :30 seconds of radio time. I mean, we all have to eat, don't we, and since the client is footing the bill, it pays (pun intended) to listen to what they want instead of telling them that they're stupid and that their advertising won't work. I dunno--the client management part of my job is certainly the hardest part, and I speak of managing internal and external clients here.

So to finish up my story, I raised my hand, but she chose to answer someone else's question and I didn't have a chance to ask it in person. Oh well--I'm not sure she would have had a good answer for me anyway.

1 comment:

ldmiller said...

It makes me wonder about the clients. They are hiring you guys because you are professionals. Do they want to hear your thoughts or do they want you to simply agree with their thoughts? By the way, she is absolutely on the money concerning the emotional appeal in advertising. Learning about that somewhat in my preaching courses. Not that I am learning to preach simply to the emotions, but if I want to get a point/truth/promise across gotta use stories that will appeal to the emotions so that the people have something to hang their hats on. Gotta love Post-modernism! [In all seriousity, I do appreciates Post-modernism check on Modernistic rational/ propositional thinking]