Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Thoughts on aging

So I'm typing this with my fingers, which is one of the only parts of me that isn't sore right now. Yesterday, I played Ultimate Frisbee for the first time in about, oh, 6 months. And not just some rinky-dink pick-up game, either. This was full-on, league-certified Ultimate. Good times and fast opponents.

Every year when I come out to play frisbee, I vow that this will be the start of something good--that I will take this opportunity to keep excercising, getting into shape and by this time next year--watch out! And every year, I get more and more used to the excercise, until the league is over, and I then do . . . absolutely nothing. I always think that after the league is over, I'll start running again, or swimming, or some sort of regular excercise--hah! Not likely. This year, I plan to enjoy frisbee, to attempt to run at least one other time per week, and to re-evaluate things at the conclusion of the league.

The worst part about playing, of course, is playing people who can't stop running. Take yesterday, for example. I marked up on a player who used to be on my team last year--he remembered me, which was gratifying, and I certainly remembered him--he was the one who could keep up with my deep passes, running them down and (usually) hauling them in for a score. So I knew what I was getting into--hanging around my own end zone, watching him to make sure that he didn't break away from me and catch a pass from one of their handlers.

Well, it turns out that he's been working on his handle (ability to throw the frisbee, for the uninitiated) as well as his knowledge of how to play the game. I found myself chasing this guy, this high-school cross-country runner, up and down the field for three straight points. It was all I could do to breathe after that ordeal, much less defend anyone. And the best part? After I came off the field, sucking wind like a clogged vacuum cleaner, he stayed out there, and scored the next point for his team, all the while looking as fresh as a daisy.

I couldn't help but feel a little old, fat, and out-of-shape at that point. Motivation for the future, I suppose.

By the way, if you're interested in ultimate frisbee, check out the UPA website (www.upa.org). It has a lot of great resources on the game, as well as places where you can play pick-up in an area near you. Maybe I'll see you out on the field, one of these days.

BillG

1 comment:

ldmiller said...

Billy Boy, It's about time you joi9n the rest of us who have become old and fat already. I give you props for getting out there. I have yet to venture out to our campus' weekly ultimate games. Felt I would be huffin' and puffin' too much. If only it were more like hockey where you run like crazy for a couple of miuntes and then go back to the bench.