Friday, June 09, 2006

The Joys of Home Ownership

So, it looks like my weekends for the next six years just got filled. Yep, I'm a proud owner of an 83-year-old house, which means myriads of things to do, fix, paint, weed, mow, repair, clean, etc.

One thing that's curiously satisfying, though, is the feeling of having something completed, and knowing that it will stay that way, because it's yours and your family's. On my first day walking around the new house, seeing what needed to be done, (Memorial Day, btw) I moved a rock to sit between our deck and our yard, a stepping stone, if you will. Darned if it's not satisfying every time to use that little stepping stone--it's just great. Who woulda thunk it?

The other interesting thing that's happening this summer, now that we've moved in, is that Megan is watching our niece, Chloe, during the day because she's out of school. So Megan finds herself having dance parties, playing soccer, and making mint chocolate chip ice cream, on top of taking care of the health and well-being of a tiny, cute, demanding little person--our three-year old daughter, for those of you keeping track. I don't know how she does it, how she adapts--I know that I wouldn't fare half as well as her in the same situation. After a rocky period that first day, I think everyone's settled in and everything's going to be fine.

Take care, all.

BillG

1 comment:

ldmiller said...

Good to see you posting again Billy. Can't wait to see pictures of the new house. Here's an idea for a future post: A Top Ten list of things to do around the house/yard. I look forward to the many promised posts that will occur on a continuous basis.