Monday, June 13, 2005

Memories . . . all alone in the moonlight

"Human memory, on the other hand, is the invisible psychic adhesive that holds our identity together from moment to moment. This makes it a radically different phenomenon from computer memory. For one thing, it is fluid rather than granular, more like a wave than a particle. Like a wave, it spreads through the mind, puddling up here and there in odd personal associations that may be of the most inexplicable kind. It flows not only through the mind, but through the emotions, the senses, the body. We remember things as no computer canĂ‚—in our muscles and reflexes: how to swim, play an instrument, use a tool."

--Theodore Roszak, historian and educator

And on the return, rejuvination nation.

Vacations are odd animals. For something as much anticipated as they tend to be, they seem to go really quickly while you're in them, and then you wonder why you worried about this or that, and why you didn't enjoy the vacation more. But then, hopefully, you settle in, back to regular life, or at least a near-approximation of it, and the vacation becomes a pleasant memory or set of memories.

This one had pleasant memories by the bucketful. Shopping for clothes in a wind-swept Cabazon Mall in Palm Springs, for one. Oddly enough, I managed to get all of the clothes that I set out to obtain, and Megan didn'tacquiree any new clothing. I even did it sans Tony, though I'm sure he would have found a lot of other clothes at a great bargain that looked wonderful. I still use that jacket you strong-armed me in Japan to get, Tony.

Another was our day at the beach. My skin carries memories of this one. No longer am I the supple-skinned seventeen-year old who could stay out in the sun all day long swimming and playing polo and not getting burned. As I get older, I seem to be flip-flopping some of my genetic traits--my skin is getting more like my Dad's (pale, easily burnt), while my hair is getting more like my Mom's (thinner, soon to become male-pattern baldness). So, at the beach, I tried a new "spray-on" type sunscreen. I can't say it didn't do its job, because it did--except only in the places where it actually got on my skin. For the record, it was a particularly windy day at the beach. When I got home and showered off, I found white blotches that looked like little mushrooms (the spray had hit my body and dripped slightly) all over my chest and back. Good Times!

V-ball and dinner with Kwin was also nice. We packed up my little bro for the summer, moving him out of his tiny apartment on UCSD's campus, and placing all of his stuff in our van, which saggednoticeablyy after being loaded. After piling all of his stuff away, it was time for some V-Ball, the guys vs. the girls, best of seven. Jamie and I stole a couple of games early on Kwin, Bobbi and Megan, an advantage we held on to in order to eventually win the series. I also managed to step on a rusty nail, something that you might find in the Handbook of Things Not To Step On If You Don't Want To Get A Tetanus Booster (Catchy Title!). I avoided a shot, and hopefully tetanus--victory heals all ills, or something. Or maybe it was Kwin's excellent cooking? If you're ever in SD, feel free to stop by--she's always happy to see friends, and doesn't need much advance notice to whip something delectable up.

I have other memories to share, of course--those are just some of the highlights. Look for more this week, as I want to get these down while they're still fresh in my mind.

Currently reading: The Life of the Modern, by Paul Johnson.

3 comments:

ldmiller said...

Good that you had a nice vacation. Bad that you are becoming pale and thus burnt because of the Midwest. Glad that you saw Kwin; I hope she is well. How come I have seen zero comments at my blog from you? To quote the Black-eyed Peas, "Where is the love?" Tell Megan I say hello. It was great to spend the day with you over Memorial day, but it just makes me miss all of you guys more. Join us in Boston! BTW Tony and JD are thinking about visiting out here at the end of August, just somethign to keep in the back of your head and something for you to do when you are bored in the office (i.e. look-up cheap fares out here). I'll keep ya updated. Take care

Hack said...

Hey Bill, always nice to know I am remembered for something. I, too, still have my Gap jacket from that fateful day. Except now that gap is only a 12-minute train ride from my house. I moved on up to the east side.

I would like to second Mr. Miller's comment about your lack of comments in my comment. Reciprocation baby!

Oh yeah, and Star Wars III doesn't come to Japan until July 9th. Come on people!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.